Chucktown 2011: Day 6 and Travel Home


We got up and headed downtown to meet Sarah, one of the loyal readers of this blog and of Snappy Casual. She happened to be in Charleston for a wedding so we made sure to schedule a lunch meeting with her and her boyfriend, Ian.

We had some time to kill, so we took some advise from Jessamine and Courtney and bought a box of mini cupcakes from Cupcake on King Street. We took them home to our friends for all to enjoy. They were yummers!

We walked down to the American Theater to take some outfit photos for Kelsey, then headed to Groucho's Deli for lunch with Sarah, Ian and their friend. It was great to meet face to face and we had a lovely conversation. We made time for a picture before parting ways.

When we got back mid-afternoon, the gang had made plans to mini-golfing. What a fantastic idea! They have a course about a stone's throw away from their house so we headed out to Blackbeard's Cove. Justin beat us all, but he was also the scorekeeper...just sayin...

After golf, we headed back to Garrett and Lauren's to get ready for supper. Lauren is a phenomenal cook! She made us too many fabulous lunches and dinners to mention, but we were super grateful for the hospitality while we were visiting.

While supper was being prepared, Justin, Brenna and I went in the backyard to take some photos of Belle and Kinnick. They were the dog whisperers while I shot. Afterward, they went inside and cuddled.

Lauren's sister, Melissa; her husband, Jonathan; and their son, Jackson, came over one last time before we departed for dinner and Battle of the Sexes game.

Melissa, Kelsey, Brenna and Lauren

After they left, we decided to take a group photo to commemorate our last night in Charleston. We opted for an awkward family photo pose and then a fun one. I love setting the timer on my camera to take a few in a row. Always catches people off guard.

Then Justin got a hold of the camera. He is such an entertainer and had us all laughing as he snapped a few photos.


We got up around 8 and started packing up the swagger wagon to head for home. There were some emotional goodbyes and we headed out around 10 a.m.

By the time we hit the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, traffic was nearly at a standstill. It was putting a crimp in our style and our ETA for home, so we pulled off to a KFC for some lunch and to find an alternate route. At this time we learned that there was an accident ahead about 15 miles, so we decided to take a detour to get around it if we wanted to save any time at all.

Kelsey got stuck with another winding drive through the mountains that took us about an hour.

Then Justin took over and drove us into to Nashville, where we met two of his cousins for a late dinner. It was great to see Nashville, even if it was only for an hour.

I think it was around 10:30 p.m. when we headed out of town. Brenna took over for the first shift of driving. Then I took the graveyard shift from 1:30 till about 4:30 a.m. By that time we had made it to Hannibal, Mo., and we started to feel like we were getting really close to home. I crashed in the back seat with my new buddy Kinnick.

Justin took over and drove us all the way home. We had made it! What an awesome trip.

I hope to post some videos in the next few weeks depending on when I get them done. I hope you all have enjoyed reading about our trip as much as we enjoyed the trip itself.

Anyone have a vacation or staycation planned, or done? Where did you go? What did you do? We would love to hear about it in the comments.

Other Posts in This Series