Roo's 1st Birthday Party
Rooney had the most amazing first birthday ever. She told me. She was grinning ear-to-ear all day and totally knew it was her special day. We had been telling her all week that her day was coming, not really thinking she knew what we were talking about.
Normally Rooney would have been very cautious around the 20 family members we had over, but she was the smiling, giggling, curious Rooney that Kelsey and I know and love. It made for a very special day for all of us.
After lunch, presents, cupcakes, ice cream and a(n attempted) nap, we were all spent. Especially this daddy. Between poking my head out from behind the camera, serving our guests and cleaning up, I was still exhausted Monday morning.
Enough of the small talk, let's dive into the details...
- Chalkboard: DIY out of MDF (medium density fiberboard), magnetic paint and chalkboard paint
- Photos: Instagram photos printed by Kanvess
- Twine: Doodlebug via Archiver's
- Rooney's crown (first photo): Snuggle Luv
- Chocolate cupcakes: Trader Joe's Truffle Brownie Baking Mix
- Vanilla cupcakes: Trader Joe's Vanilla Cake & Baking Mix
- Cupcake liners: Bake It Pretty (one, two, three, four, five) and Party City
- Cupcake toppers: DIY from Oh Happy Day
- Hanging outfit: Vintage from Kelsey's childhood (Rooney wore this the day we brought her home from the hospital)
- Bunting banner: Urban Outfitters
- Deer Ugly: UglyDoll via Hautelook
- Big sock monkey: Target
- Little sock monkey: Schylling (gift)
- Strawberry lemonade: Trader Joe's lemonade & frozen strawberries
- Cupcake tin: Target (gift)
- Glass milk bottles: Starbucks Frappucino bottles (label removal is super easy using these directions)
- Paper straws: Shop Sweet Lulu
- Candy jar: gift
- Pink, yellow and white M&Ms: Party City
- Plates: Party City (dinner plates here)
A lot of planning and Pinteresting went into the details of this party. My hat's off to Kelsey for doing all the planning. My favorite part was deciding whether we were going to buy cupcakes from a local bakery or make them ourselves. For the record, I was asked half a dozen times to "just make the decision." So, I did. Six times. Two choices. Six Times. You do the math. ;)
Here's a gallery of photos from the party itself. Click on any of the photos to see them in full size.
And... here is a five minute video of Rooney exploring her first cupcake.