Peanut Butter Crunch Bars
Did you grow up on these in your school cafeteria? Don't tell my mom, but I remember trading the rest of my meal with anyone who would oblige and sometimes ended up with three of these bars on my tray. I am a dessert girl, and these were my favorite!
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups quick oatmeal
- Mix together and put in greased and floured 12 x 16 pan.
- Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp margarine
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Mix and add enough water (we used about 1 cup) to make it to spreading consistency. Spread evenly on bars.
- Just as delicious as I remember!
- I think next time I might put them in a smaller pan so they are a little thicker.
- In school the bars were usually a darker color, although I believe this is the exact recipe.
- I'm not sure why they are called crunch bars, as there is really no crunch. Did we mix them too well?
- Another idea I had is to add M&Ms on top...which would taste like monster cookie bars!
Thanks to Lauren for sharing this recipe with me so I could make it for our life group! I know Chris really enjoyed them :)