A Weekend to Remember
This weekend Eric and I attended the FamilyLife Weekend to Remember marriage getaway in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We signed up for the conference earlier this year and I am so glad we made the investment. It was amazing to get out of our city, stay in a hotel and focus on our marriage for two days. There were 10 sessions total with built-in in time to go through projects with your spouse, and also a date night. The speakers were awesome and reinforced for us a lot of things we've learned since committing to our marriage as the most important earthly relationship. Our marriage was healthy before, but it was really strengthened over the weekend and I am rejuvenated to love and respect my husband.
Some of my takeaways:
- Don't try to win at arguments. Because if there's a winner, there's also a loser.
- An affair is anything that gets in the way of the marriage being the priority relationship (children, busyness, materialism, careers, etc.)
- I think my selfishness is the No. 1 threat to our marriage.
- Just because you have a ring on your finger does not mean you can say whatever you want to your spouse (hurtful things). I want to speak in a way that encourages.
- The goal of marriage is not to be conflict-free but to handle conflict correctly when it occurs.
- We should not be ashamed to talk about what God was not ashamed to create (intimacy). I am the only person who God has created for intimacy with Eric. (Confession: at the beginning of our marriage, I played games with Eric in this area.)
- A man would rather live alone and unloved than with someone who does not respect him.
- Do not wait for your spouse to change. Do what God expects of you.
- I am so proud of my husband!
Here is the love letter I wrote to Eric halfway through the conference. It was written just for him, but is published here with his permission. ...Many tears were shed while I (attempted to) read this aloud. Eric had to finish for me.
Eric will share about his experience tomorrow. We'd love for you to attend the conference as well! It's offered nationwide and chances are there is an upcoming event in your area. Check out a list of the conferences here. If you register using the group name WORDSOFWILLIAMS, you'll receive a 50% off coupon code for your Weekend to Remember registration (does not expire). We hope this blesses you like it blessed us.